April 3, 2008

missing home...

[L]: Wow, it's already April. The flowers are blooming again, and traces of the harsh winter has passed. Little mosquitoes are starting to come out. It seems almost unreal that 3 months from now (this July) would mark our complete 2-year period of being overseas.

These 2 years have been definitely a refining period. Sometimes I wonder if if my character has gotten better or worst for it. Perhaps being out of one's comfort zone brings different things to surface that I just never knew was there. It's like "house-cleaning" per se. Unless I move the furniture around and toss the carpet about, I don't see the dust and specks that have longed settled in some remote corner of my home.

These 2 years have made a mark in my life that I won't forget. There were moments where I just want to laugh out loud. There are ridiculous idiosyncrasies that are just part of living life here that no one in their right mind would have to deal with back at home. Then, there are parts that just want to make me cry. Sometimes out of loneliness. Sometimes out of pain. Sometimes out of joy -- like getting to see the transforming power of JC in another person's life.

Sometimes I wake up in awe that I am living on this side of the world. Then, there are days when I just feel like I am SO ready to pack my bags and go home -- to a place where I can find Taco Cabana, Jason's Deli, La Madeleine's, Souper Salad, Target... a place that feels akin to the "land of milk and honey."

But then again, I am reminded that perhaps these things aren't going to fulfill my deepest longings in the long haul.

And I am reminded that earth is just a temporary home. We will all leave it one day.

However, sometimes... boy, just the thought of some yummy enchiladas with real sour cream, a good hot tomato basil soup, and some good western food just makes me so happy! Oh, and then the joy of pushing my shopping cart through some good clean aisles... shopping for really nothing, but anything... Now that makes just makes my heart really excited!!

Boy do I long for home!!!