April 26, 2008

the joys of street food

[L]: I go through phases, especially with food here. There are days at a time when I was super addicted to these vegetable dumplings, that I even day dreamed about them in class. Then, one day, I had ONE too many. And I haven't eaten there since.

Then, there are days when I was super adventurous and would try out different noodles from the street vendors. And then, as if my mind had a change of heart, I got scared and stayed away for some time... realizing that if my stomach went bezerk, there's no one to complain to.

Well, after staying away for some time... I decided to go back. Why? Well, one hungry day while walking back home from school, I passed a stall that looks amazingly crowded. Lo and behold, the guy was making SUSHI! Well, okay, granted. Not really "real sushi". But pseudo California rolls type stuff -- with a flair. He definitely had seaweed, rice, the cucumber, and the carrots... THEN he also smeared in ketchup, mayonaise, pickled/salted vegetables, dried meat floss... even salted duck egg. (There was no wasabi.) Okay, I don't really know what you call this creation. Pseudo california rolls with lots of additions??

I looked and looked and looked...saw tons of people ordering it.... finally, caved in, and ordered myself a whole thing of 10 slices. I was super starving, and so I went home and ate the whole thing! It was SO GOOD.

Okay, maybe it sounds a little gross. But when you smush it all together and dip it in soy sauce... well, you can't really tell what you are eating.

But one thing I know for sure... it sure satisfied that craving I have for ANYTHING besides greasy food, noodles, dumplings, and fried rice. And as far as I can tell... I don't have any stomach problems yet. Maybe because there's no fresh meat nor fish nor anything that can technically spoil. At least that's my theory.

I hope that this theory holds true. :) Having a new vendor come into the neighborhood makes life a little more exciting at times.