[L]: This event happened sometime ago. But today, I remembered it because I was out and about, and was buying eggs. One of my foreign friends here was trying to bake a cake. She went down to the local market and bought some eggs. Simple right? Wrong. Of course things can't be that simple. As she finished preparing to mix all her ingredients together, she reached for the eggs and begin to methodically crack them one by one. To her horror, inside each egg was a somewhat developed embryo! There were signs of beak, beginnings of feather, and other unmentionable things. She shrieked. Dumped that egg away, and reached for another. The same thing. More signs of beak, beginnings of a feather, and other unmentionable things. Egg after egg... That's when Edwin and I came over and saw her gripped with disgust. I too shrieked when I saw the thing. Bygone was the fun cake-baking experience.
But then it hits me! Flashbacks to a memory of childhood. I remember my parents telling me how people can enjoy delicious duck eggs, and when you boil them, you can eat the small developing embryo. And then it dawned on me that she bought duck eggs instead of chicken eggs.
So the moral of the story: Know what eggs you are buying, lest you be shocked when you crack it open. =)