[L]: I generally love peepholes because they are useful in this dangerous world. When there is an unexpected knock on the door, I can always look out to see who is standing out there before I open the door. You know, it brings security. I have observed lots of different peepholes in the doors through the different apartment complexes that I've inhabited, and mostly, they do quite a good job. By this I mean, people on the outside can't see me. But I on the inside can see them. Granted, the people standing on the outside can often tell if lights go on or off inside through little pinhole. Or even, if there is a light, and someone stands before it, you can tell that it's somehow blocked by a shadow. But beyond that, in general, one can't get too much more information standing on the outside.
Well, my little theory came to a screeching halt. (Of course, like always, when it applies to life on this side of the world!) It was a quiet Sunday afternoon. Suddenly, there was loud banging on the door. I turn to look at Edwin. Are we expecting company? No....? Oh okay. As I slowly march towards the front door, the banging continues at a steady paced interval.
Suddenly, I took a peep out of our peephole. And at once, there is an eyeball that is also peering BACK at me!!! Yikes!!! Immediately, I hear (in a different language of course), "AH! Helloo there! How are you? Can you open the door?" KnockKnockKnockKnockKnock! "OPEN UP!!! I SEE YOU." KnockKnockKnockKnockKnock! And this continues even louder and more impatiently.
That is when I freaked out and ran off to find Edwin. Meanwhile the door sounds like its taking a brutal beating. It turns out that Edwin recognized them as the lovely neighbors downstairs. (Remember they barged in our place a year ago, when they claimed our toilet was leaking?? Please refer to entry last fall.) Well, this time, we have a better understanding of the language and could communicate a teensy better. And after talking to them, this time there is ANOTHER leak coming from a mysterious source out on the balcony. And this time, since we could communicate, we and the neighbors were on much friendlier terms. They even said bye and thank you before they left...
Anyhow... my question is, what is the purpose of the peephole if both sides could see one another. Perhaps I shouldn't call it a peephole... Maybe there's another name for it. I just can't think of any at this moment...