[L]: Dear friends and family, we are now back on the other side of the world! Safely, thankfully. Though we are transitioning and going through jet-lag (again!), we are grateful to be back and to start another chapter (2nd year) of our life overseas.
The past 4 weeks (too brief!!!) we got to spend in America was like but a dream. A dream where it was difficult to wake up from, because we were so excited in that dream: A place where we were surrounded by our families and friends, familiar roads and streets, a place where people generally smile and nod hello (even if they didn't know who we were!), and we weren't just a face in a crowd. There was such a thing as "customer service" and clean food (something we forgot about). And bathrooms are so clean.
Partly that was why it was difficult to blog or write. (We are sorry for our absence on the internet!) It was such a short time, with so many people to see, so many things to take care of, so many errands to do, and time was so short. And even still, we didn't get to spend time with everyone we wanted to see, and we didn't get to talk to everyone we wanted to. We packed as many activities in every single day, and still, time was short. For those of you who we didn't get to see... please know we are thinking of you.
It was also difficult to write, perhaps because I am in denial. Writing solidifies things. It seals the deal. It makes things feel more "complete". And I didn't want my American dream to end.
In addition to that, I had to complete 30 hours of CE (continuing education) credits, in order to renew my pharmacist license in time (which was due this month). So I sat and read article after article, until my eyes drooped, with random meanderings of "I am finally back in America and yet I am sitting here doing what?! Studying?!". But alas, it is done. My license is renewed and I am still a pharmacist. Thank the Lord! =) I visited my old workplace and ended up staying there from 10 to 3pm! A whopping 5 hours! Brings back memories, feelings of what it was to answer phone, check prescriptions... a place that once was my second home.
Some embarrassing moments...
Of course, the transition of coming back to America wasn't without bloopers. I had to be conscious of my bad habits with mental note-to-self, "Don't do this in America!" -- Don't throw bones on the table when I am eating. Don't push or shove when standing in line. Don't cut in line.
But I forgot something pretty important...
I was standing at the grocery store several days after coming back to America. I was in line at the register, patiently waiting and making sure I don't break any etiquette rules. The lady in front of my, however, seems to keep turning around to look at me. Once, twice, and a few more times. I kept wondering what it was -- something on my face? Food stuck to my teeth? A few minutes later, she finally said, "Excuse me, ma'am! Do you mind stepping back just a few feet?!" Doh! I looked behind me and saw a line of people, all standing equally spaced apart (maybe about 2-3 feet between each person) Little did I realize, I was standing maybe 2-3 inches from the lady in front of me. Facing foward in the line, I didn't see how ridiculous it was for me to stand so close to her, while everyone else was spaced far and wide behind me in line. Sigh. I forgot about "personal space."
Being so used to being pushed against people in lines, indeed, I had lost all sense of personal space. Welcome to America, Lilly. Welcome home.
But now, I am typing this blog back on the other side of the world. My bike is still here. Edwin's bike is still here. We are back in our old place, just as we left here back in early summer. Everything is the same, except dustier. Oh, did we mention that there was a great flood in our city during the time we were gone? So much so that they had to send rescue boats into our apartments to rescue people. We didn't know this till we saw pictures of our local neighborhood up on the world news online!! That's when we were thankful that we live on the 4th floor.
Except now, I am exhausted from climbing it multiple times a day. With groceries. That's when I realize that I've became out of shape when I was away. Back to work. Back to reality. Back to biking, sweating, and sweltering heat.
As much as we miss America, we still are definitely very thankful and grateful to be back... We look forward to what this year may hold...