Recently, I started grinding my own meat. I don't have a meat grinder, so I'm using my food processor which means it could get too mushy because I am trigger happy and press the button too many times or for too long. So then I started making my own sausages... Because well, what else do you do with over-pureed meat?
Not sure why I am on this kick.
Maybe I watched one too many documentaries....because I am starting to believe we are what we eat.
Maybe it's to make up for my younger college days of binging on Wendy's and microwave dinners.
Maybe I just want to educate myself on the whole "food experience".
Maybe I am thinking on behalf of my kiddos.
Maybe it'll just be a phase.
Anyhow, I am not saying I am above inhaling some really great desserts. I just ate some delicious cheesecake earlier. YUM. And, I don't mean "healthy" as in low-fat either. To me, some low-fat foods aren't healthy. They replace the "fat" with something else unnatural. And low-sugar just means they replace real sugar with fake sugar. In my mind, when I think "healthy," I think of it as in eliminating as much preservatives, pesticides, chemicals, or even sodium as possible. (Fast food and canned foods are loaded with sodium!)
So if I feel like I need to eat less fat, instead of grabbing for a low-fat item, I need to find veggies or fruit instead. But if I feel like dessert, than I should go for the real thing... real butter, real cream.
Well, whatever the case may be... we can't afford to eat organic all the time. Hence the awesome crop share I joined this past fall.
And then a friend told me about THIS. Okay, I am a little skeptical. I mean, it looks like it's MADE for infomercials.
What do you think? Any opinion, advice? Do you think this is worth it? (I am not good with maintaining a garden.... my last childhood experience, the ants infested all the corn that I grew.) We also move around a lot and don't own a house with a big yard. If we are lucky, the next place we move to might have a porch.
Anyhow, check out this tower-garden and let me know what you think! It's expensive, so I need to know if it's worth it? I mean if I pay this big fee and get a years worth of veggies...than maybe it's worth it? :)
Oh, and just to give background info, we eat a lot of veggies. The last cropshare I joined, we ate up everything that I brought home from the farm. (So I need to calculate that and take that into consideration. Fruits and vegetables alone from the grocery store can be expensive!)
1 comment:
I say do it! Then again, it's not my money. ;) But that sounds like a good idea, especially if it pays for itself.
We too are trying to go all natural and organic but there's so much to learn. For now, we're eating the good meat but is there really a difference between regular bananas and organic ones? And regular milk vs organic milk? I thought all milk is now hormone free and "good". I need to pick your brain.
Post a Comment