May 14, 2008

lunch today


[L]: Today I had lunch with 3 local friends. One of my friend's hometown is in the Himalayas, which is so far away that she only gets to see her family once a year. Her little sister, though only in high school, also got sent to a school far away from home. And today I found out that her sister's high school is located in the city near the massive earthquake. Fortunately, her sister survived and is okay.

However, their dorms and classrooms are in utter ruin. Last night they slept on the playground area. Tonight, they will sleep in tents.

It just seems surreal that only on Monday morning, life was all as it should be. And later at 2:28pm that afternoon, the lives of thousands got changed in a devastating way.

Nothing in life is certain. There are no guarantees that we will all live to a certain age, or if we will live to see tomorrow.

It's time like these that I am thankful that we can have hope in JC that transcends what we can see on earth.

Today, I was thankful that I got a chance to ask my friends what they thought about life and together reflect on what is meaningful...