June 20, 2007

a prized possession

[L]: So, we recently bought a mosquito net. Who knew that all the countless nights of the past (where at least one of us would wake up with like 5 bites on our faces) would be solved by just a simple net??! There were many nights when I would just pull the covers over my face, hoping that if they don't "see" me, they won't bite me. Of course, that's also because I am too lazy to turn on the light again (for the umpteenth time) looking for that one FAT mosquito that just recently sucked my blood. But, inevitably, we would then cave in, wake up, and hunt down that mosquito(es). The only compensation for this is getting to chase it down with an electric fly swatter (battery operated) and then hear the thing pop and sizzle. The mosquito basically then vaporizes into nothingness but a residual smoke.

Oh yes, the electric fly swatter (shaped like a tennis racquet)! They are mostly battery powered (sometimes I see ones that plug into the wall). You use it by swatting the mosquito and pushing a little button that sends an electric current through the thing. Of course, it also shocks humans too, so probably that is why they don't sell, manufacture, nor distribute in the U.S. (My guess is that it's like a law-suit waiting to happen). But here, in this side of the world, they are everywhere. Unfortunately, it's not very long lasting. Yesterday, I swatted a mosquito and it just got stuck and the electric current barely numbed it. Maybe its time again to buy another one.

Anyhow, back to the mosquito net. It's simply amazing. While sleeping, I can hear the mosquitoes. I sense their presence. I know that they are there. But the coolest thing is that they can't bite me (they are surrounding on the outside, while I am on the inside) -- so no need to wake up in the middle of the night. Now that, I must say, is a good night's rest. =)