[L]: So I met a new friend this past week. She's a really nice girl! Come to find out, she had an English name. (Well, actually, many college students here have English name, mostly self-named with friend's help or teacher's help.) When I find this out, I got very excited because it makes pronunciation so much easier! Imagine my shock when I found out that her name was "Lucifer." Trying to make sure I understand, I ask her for clarification. Here's somewhat of our dialogue:
me: Ummm... wow, do you mean "Lucifer?" As in "L-u-c-i-f-e-r?"
friend: Yes.
me: Did you name yourself, or did someone else name you?
friend: I named myself.
me: Do you know what it means?
friend: Yes. As the one who led a legion of angels against God. I read it in the dictionary.
me: (out of curiosity) So why did you pick that name? Do you hate God?
friend: Not really
me: Do you know that Lucifer means the devil?
friend: Yes.
me: So why did you pick it?
friend: Because my original name sounds like "Lu" and I want something with "Lu" in it. And "Lucy" is too common. So, i added the "fer" to the end to make it special. I don't want to be common.
me: If I can find other names that begin with "Lu" and isn't Lucy or Lucifer, would you re-consider your name?
friend: Yes, that would be nice.
After much exchange of ideas, my friend decided on the name "Lucinda." Yay! I won't have to refer to "Lucifer" as my friend anymore. I must say that I am very proud of my new friend's name! =)