October 30, 2006

a new pace of life

[L]: When we first got here, one of the biggest frustration that I had was how slow it took to do everything. Back at home, on a given weekend, I can travel from one end of the city to the other, stop by some stores along the way, run some errands, eat lunch with a friend.... and that is before half of the day is even over! Though I am not like that every day (who wouldn't love to be that productive!), there were many weekends when we had to do multiple things in one day. So, as you can imagine, one of the biggest hurdles once we got here, was the inefficiency of our new life.

One of the things that we do regularly here is hang-dry our clothes. Oftentimes, while hanging the clothes up to dry, I would think of all the other things I could be possibly doing instead of this (since I was used to having a dryer back home where I can just throw our clothes in and walk away--We were spoiled with a dryer weren't we?). But now, I have come to enjoy hang-drying our clothes. Not only does it slow me down, it gives me yet another reason to enjoy a moment of stillness in my day...even for just a moment.

It's not something I am used to (the clothes dry in crispy wrinkly manner), but I am so grateful for it... =)