They say that people going to a new place will often experience a series of emotions. I can't remember all the details, but somewhere along the lines, there are the honeymoon stage, the frustration/anger stage, and depending on how we cope, the normalization/adaptation stage. We are not sure where we are at, but any given day, I can attest to the fact that I do experience a whole wide range of emotions. Perhaps maybe we are wedged in between the first two emotions? Or in transition?
Let's take yesterday: We are preparing to get on the bus (we live about a 30 minute bus-ride outside the city). I was elated that there is public transportation that we could rely on. But reality sets in and I quickly am reminded (yet again) that in order to get on the bus, there is pushing and shoving involved. And when I say pushing and shoving, I mean PUSHING & SHOVING. The bus door opens, and a group of people from seemingly out of nowhere, suddenly run to wedge themselves right in front of me! I am pushed causing me to shove the person in front of me. Not only so, I sway side to side as people on either the side of me also threw themselves into the crowd hoping to get on the bus. I see Edwin also wedged in between people, and we quickly cling onto to each other (fearing us getting separated) and the next thing we know, someone managed to squeeze their head in between us! I didn't know whether to feel angry, frustrated, or humored by this ridiculous scene. So we busted out laughing and the next thing we knew, everyone (the locals) started laughing too, but the pushing and shoving continued on... sigh. Too bad I didn't get a picture of this chaos -- as I was too busy... pushing and shoving.
Here are some other recent pics we took:
1) A rainy & quiet afternoon
2) Street vendors selling us squid-on-a-stick!